Onderstaande printversie van het indicatorenboek werd door uw browser gegenereerd, en zal niet steeds optimaal ogen. Via de ingebouwde printfunctie op de website van het Indicatorenboek (ronde knop rechts bovenaan) kan u een printvriendelijke PDF genereren met mooi ogende lay-out.
6. VARIO core indicators
By Annelies Wastyn (VARIO).
In 2020, the Flemish Advisory Council for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (VARIO), developed a qualitative set of indicators for science and innovation. The result is a set of 50 indicators classified according to a number of broad categories of objectives, covering the broad spectrum of the science and innovation system. From these, 20 core indicators were selected. The core indicators are listed below, according to the category to which they belong.
BUILDING BLOCK 1: Sufficient resources for science and innovation
Increasing international challenges and pressure on economic competitiveness in the early 2000s created a growing awareness in Europe about the importance of stimulating R&D. Is the commitment of resources for science and innovation from the public and private sectors sufficient?
- INDICATOR 1: GERD as percentage of GDP
- INDICATOR 1a: Share of GERD financed by public sector – 1%-target
- INDICATOR 1b: Share of GERD financed by private sector – 2%-target
BUILDING BLOCK 2: Talent is crucial for a knowledge society
Sufficient quantity and relevant quality of human capital are central to a knowledge region. Do we have sufficient critical mass of human capital with the right skills and abilities?
- INDICATOR 2: Share of degrees in mathematics, science and technology in higher education in the total number of degrees in higher education
- INDICATOR 3: Total R&D-personnel per 1000 labour force
- INDICATOR 3a: R&D-personnel per sector (higher education, public research institutions and enterprises)
- INDICATOR 4: Average PISA-score on reading, mathematics and science of Flemish 15-year olds
- INDICATOR 5: Share of population aged 25-64 participating in lifelong learning during the reference period of 12 months prior to the survey
- INDICATOR 5a – To be developed: Share of population aged 25-64 participating in lifelong learning during the reference period of 12 months prior to the survey, breakdown into the different forms of learning, the motivation, …
BUILDING BLOCK 3: Science and knowledge as foundation
Knowledge creation is crucial in a knowledge economy. Innovation and entrepreneurship can only thrive when knowledge is present. Is our research sufficiently excellent and dynamic?
- INDICATOR 6: Share of Flemish publications in the top 10% highly cited articles
- INDICATOR 6a – to be developed-: Share of Flemish publications in the top 10% highly cited articles, breakdown by domain
- INDICATOR 7: Number of EPO and PCT-patents applied for and number of granted USPTO patents with Flemish inventor and/or applicant per million inhabitants
- INDICATOR 7a: Number of EPO and PCT-patents applied for and number of granted USPTO patents with Flemish inventor and/or applicant per million inhabitants breakdown per sector
- INDICATOR 8: Share of foreigners in the ZAP-staff (academic staff) of Flemish universities
- INDICATOR 9: Share of foreigners newly appointed within the ZAP-staff of Flemish universities
BUILDING BLOCK 4: Knowledge, innovation and production capabilities of companies
Given the increasing importance of innovation for the competitiveness of Flemish companies, stimulating innovation in Flemish companies remains a major concern. Do we have enough ambitious entrepreneurship and innovative strength?
- INDICATOR 10: Share of young enterprises with high growth ambitions
- INDICATOR 11: Share of innovating companies
- INDICATOR 12: Share of in-house innovative SMEs
BUILDING BLOCK 5: Linkages between science and innovation actors
The innovation ecosystem is a complex entity in which international, collaborative, open innovation models and knowledge markets play an important role. Are the different science and innovation actors sufficiently connected to each other?
- INDICATOR 13: Share of HERD privately financed
- INDICATOR 14: Share of GOVERD privately financed
- INDICATOR 15: Share of cooperating innovation companies
- INDICATOR 15a: Share of cooperating innovation companies, per type of partner
BUILDING BLOCK 6: An open and international Flanders
In order to be able to guarantee its position as a knowledge region, Flanders needs to profile itself internationally. Problems and societal challenges, but also solutions, ideas and knowledge, know no borders. Is Flanders sufficiently present on the international scene and internationally competitive?
- INDICATOR 16: Share of innovative companies cooperating internationally, per regio
- INDICATOR 17a: EU Framework Programme participation grant in function of GDP
- INDICATOR 17b EU Framework Programme participation grant in function of number of inhabitants
- INDICATOR 17c: EU Framework Programme participation grant breakdown by type of actor
- INDICATOR 18: Share of participants to the Marie Sklodowska-Curie actions - individual fellows
- To be developed INDICATOR 19: Stay rate – Share of international higher education students that stay after graduation
- To be developed INDICATOR 19a: Stay rate – Share of international higher education students that stay 1 year after graduation
- To be developed INDICATOR 19b: Stay rate – Share of international higher education students that stay 4 years after graduation
- To be developed INDICATOR 20: Share of international R&D-personnel in companies